Drug Discovery and Pathogen Box Conference & Workshop 2018
4 July @ 9:00 am - 6 July @ 5:00 pm UTC+1N30000
Drug discovery has benefited from advances in computational resources, tools and techniques. Traditional bio-prospecting for new medicines from natural products is been revolutionized with computer software. Africa can wield technological advantage by empowering its teaming and emerging biomedical scientists with the requisite skills. We will make a lot of difference when we solve local health problems with local resources. The Medicine for Malaria Ventures (MMV) Pathogen Box (PB) is a collection of 400 diverse, drug like molecules active against thirteen neglected diseases of interest. The PB is provided free of charge to researchers around the world in order help catalyze neglected diseases drug discovery. A Pathogen Box “Team Nigeria” was created in September 2016 and is bringing together Nigerian and Diaspora Researchers interested in PB drug discovery. Come, let us build the next generation.
Building the Next Generation Drug Discovery Scientists for Neglected Diseases
1. Computational extension of natural products research
2. Molecular docking simulations in drug discovery
3. Chemoinformatics techniques in drug discovery
4. Gleanings from MMV Pathogen Box Investigations
5. Design of Biological Screens
To bring together young biomedical scientists, established drug discovery scientists and the Pharma industries to chart the future for new medicines in Africa.
1. Train young biomedical scientists in modern drug discovery approaches and tools
2. Build local capacity in chemoinformatics
3. Discuss research findings emanating from the MMV Pathogen Box
4. Building bridges between researchers and Pharma industries
1. Biomedical scientists interested in natural products, drug discovery or computational techniques
2. Engineering, chemical, computer and mathematical scientists interested in drug discovery
3. Pharma Industries R & D Officers and Chief Executives
4. Policy makers in the health industry
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS:
We invite abstracts for research that are related to drug discovery, Pathogen Box, natural products, bioinformatics and chemoinformatics. The call for abstracts submission will open on 5th February, 2018 and close on 1st June, 2018. Candidates whose abstracts are accepted will be required to make an oral or poster presentation during the conference. Submit your abstract (max 300 words) to email@example.com
Dr. Sam Egieyeh, University of the Western Cape, South Africa
Dr. Eric Okoye, CEO, Juhel Nigeria Ltd
1. Computational extension of natural products research: Dr. Jide Olubiyi (OAU, Ile-Ife)
2. Molecular docking simulations in drug discovery: Prof. Ikemefuna Uzochukwu (NAU, Awka)
3. Chemoinformatics techniques in drug discovery: Dr. Sam Egieyeh (UWC, South Africa)
4. Gleanings from MMV pathogen Box Investigations and Design of Biological Screen: Prof Iruka Okeke (UI, Ibadan)
Registration deadline is 1st June, 2018. Registration fee is N30,000 (Student: N20,000). The registration fee will cover lunch, tea breaks and some materials. All payments must be made to the following account details.
Bank Name: Heritage Bank Ltd. Account Number: 1200067659
Account Name: Consultancy Services, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, UNIZIK.