RE: THE DEATH OF OUR STUDENT, MADUAKOR VICTOR ‘OLUWA’
1. The attention of the Management of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka has been drawn to a Press Release issued by the President of the Students’ Union Government of the University, Mr. Samuel Jude Chimuanya over the unfortunate death of Mr. Victor Maduakor, a purported 400 level student of the Faculty of Arts. The Release in the main is full of falsehood and disinformation.
2. Mr. Victor Maduakor was shot on Wednesday, 19th February 2020, along Ifite road axis, towards one of the entrances of the Awka Campus of the University.
3. Prior to this sad incident, the University Management in a meeting with Students’ Union officials on 10th February 2020, more than one week before the incident, directed that students disengage from collecting park fees and touting at the University bus parks.
Therefore, on the day of the shooting incident the purported student was not on a University assignment but on a frolic of his own.
4. Notwithstanding that the operation in the course of which the purported student was shot was in defiance of University directives, upon conveyance to the University Medical Centre, in a state of shock, he was promptly attended to, stabilized and a decision taken to refer him to Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi.
Ahead of this, the Vice-Chancellor called the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the Teaching Hospital, while the University Director of Medical Services called the Deputy Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee (DCMAC); all efforts being to stand the Teaching Hospital in readiness to receive the purported student for prompt treatment on arrival. He was conveyed to the University Teaching Hospital Nnewi in a University ambulance accompanied by a nurse.
5. On account of these calls and efforts made by the Vice-Chancellor and the Director of Medical Services, the purported student on arrival at the Teaching Hospital received immediate medical attention. The Dean of Students Affairs was there personally.
Subsequently on the recommendation of Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi he was referred to the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, where he eventually died on 5th April 2020.
6. The cost of the treatment was not an issue since this is taken care of in the healthcare delivery system of the University.
7. Investigation is ongoing and efforts are being intensified to fish out the perpetrators of this dastardly act. The University Management is deeply committed towards safeguarding the lives of its members of staff and students.
8. However, the University Management feels deeply sad on this unfortunate and regrettable incident and sends her condolences to the family.
Chika Gladys Ene Acting Head Information and Public Relations