ABOUT CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) AND HOW TO PROTECT YOURSELF
COVID-19 appears to cause mild to severe respiratory symptoms like fever, cough and difficulty breathing. From current evidence, about 80 persons out of 100 persons with the disease will recover. In about 10- 15% of cases, it will cause a severe illness. It appears that death is not a common outcome and occurs mostly in elderly patients with underlying health issues.
There is no specific treatment yet for COVID-19. However, many of the symptoms can be treated. Treatment is based on the patient’s clinical condition but supportive care for infected persons can be highly effective.
To reduce the risk of spread of COVID-19, members of the public are advised to adhere to the following measures:
- Keep a social distance of least 2 metres while in public and avoid large gatherings and crowded places such as supermarkets and outdoor markets.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap under running water or use alcohol-based sanitizer if water is not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose properly with a tissue paper when sneezing and/or coughing. Dispose of the tissue properly immediately after use. You may also cough into your elbow if a tissue is not available.
- Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing.
- Healthcare workers are always advised to observe standard infection prevention and control measures when attending to patients and take a travel history.
Read more about the protective measures against the new Corona Virus here.