The Department of Architecture offers Postgraduate programmes leading to the award of Master of Science (M.Sc) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) Degrees in Architecture.
The Hybrid Masters Programme is meant specifically for our graduate students whose Final Cummulative Grade Point Average (FCGPA) at the end of the B.Sc (Architecture) programme falls below 3.00 on a 5.00 point scale. This is to enable such students on successful completion of the programme to proceed to the M.Sc (Architecture) programme.
The M.Sc (Architecture) programme is primarily a professional training programme to enable the graduates gain eligibility for professional registration with the Architects Registrartion Council of Nigeria as Provisionally Registered Architect Stage II plus the eligibility to sit for the PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE EXAMINATIONS of ARCON and also be in a position to advance further academically in the study and practice of ARCHITECTURE.
The philosophy of the Postgraduate Architecture Programme of Nnamdi Azikiwe University is to develop and impart such architectural education that is capable of producing highly skilled professional architects and well rounded intellectuals capable of facing and solving a broad spectrum of our environmental design problems and challenges.
The objectives of the Postgraduate Architecture Degree Programme are:-
– To provide students with knowledge and skills to enhance their performance and enable them to assume broader responsibility in the rapidly changing built environment in Nigeria;
– To provide the knowledge required for understanding, and practical analysis of problems related to the built environment;
– To produce architects who are capable of applying appropriate problem solving principles and techniques in the Nigerian built environment;
– To produce interested individuals with the necessary competencies and skills to function effectively as academics in architectural studies;
– To produce graduates in architecture who will have opportunities for teaching and research in schools of architecture and research institutions;
– To produce needed research personnel for in-depth study and development of locally available building materials for achieving affordable housing for the teeming population.
THE POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMES
The Department of Architecture offers the following Postgraduate Programmes in Architecture:
- Hybrid Masters Programme.
- Master of Science Degree (M.Sc.).
- Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Ph.D.).